Welcome to our web

Google Map

Dover, England

 

Name
The White Cliffs of Dover

Name
The White Cliffs retain their coloring because they are comprised of chalk. The rumor that it's bird poop isn't true

Name
Dover Castle sits high on the cliffs overlooking the waterfront on one side, the town on the other

Name
Dover Castle is a great medieval fortress created by King Henry II and built between 1180 and 1185

Name
Joan at the Cliffs. The Seaport is below and the Shakespeare Cliff is beyond the bay

Name
The Port of Dover. It's 21 miles across the English Channel to France. Dating back to the early 17th century, it is one of the busiest and most popular ports in the world

Name
Port of Dover. Each year millions of trucks, busses, cars, motorcycles and passengers pass through the port for the 21 mile journey across the English Channel to France

Name
Shakespeare Cliff is the backdrop to the waterfront

Name
The White Cliffs small craft harbor of Dover

Name
The Southern Queen - The White Cliffs Harbor tour boat and it is the only tour boat in Dover and the surounding area

Name
The Clock Tower and Lifeboat House overlooks the small craft harbor

Name
The Prominade and small craft launch ramp

Name
The Beach

Name
Waterfront Shopping along the Prominade

Name
The Town Center

Name
Castle Street

Name
Market Square on Saturday

Name
Market Square on Sunday

Name
St. Mary's Catholic Church on the left with scafolding

Name
The ages-old Cemetary at St. Mary's

Name
The Dover Museum

Name
The Town Hall and The War Memorial

Name
The Prince Albert Hotel and restaurant

Name
Ristorante Dino - This cozy little Italian restaurant was our favorite restaurant in Dover. We had a fantastic dinner, prepared by Mama Dino, and the best liver pate appetizer ever (except for Joan's of course)

Name
The Roman Painted House is preserved inside this building. Built about AD 200, the House is named for the brightly colored murals found on its plaster walls. The floors are red mortar and cover a remarkable under-floor heating system

Name
The House formed part of a large mansion or official hotel. It was demolished in AD. 270 by the Roman Army during the construction of a new fort

Name
Wall Paintings - It was this quick burial of the wall paintings which led to their survival. While still in good condition, the House's three main rooms were buried in clay to construct ramparts for the new fort

Name
The Roman House was discovered by Kent Archaeological Rescue Unit. The walls survived to a height of 4-6 feet

Name
The Red Mortar Floors cover an 1,800 year old under-floor central heating system that kept the building warm

Name
Central Heating -- Visitors can see the large arched flues, the heating channels and the vertical wall-flues of the under-floor central heating system

Name
Magistrate Court

Name
Polite Notice - The English certainly have an interesting command of the language

Name
This lovely park is in the center of town

Name
Only the English would call a 'park' The Pleasure Grounds

Name
The quiet beauty of Dover

Name
The East Lee Guest House. We stayed at this lovely Bed & Breakfast for two nights before the cruise

Name
The East Lee Guest House foyer

Name
The East Lee Guest House breakfast room

Name
The East Lee Guest House dinning room

Name
Heading out to board the ship for our cruise

Name
The Crystal Symphony docked at the Dover Seaport

Name
The Light House - Sailing out of the harbor
 
Google Map Dover, UK

 

©Copyright 2001-2016   All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced,
stored, or transmitted in any form without my prior permission. Charles Tyrrell, Webmaster